Work for the Dole – What are the benefits for your Business?
My Pathway is your Work for the Dole Coordinator for the Cairns Employment Region.
Is your organisation based around Cairns, the Tablelands, Douglas Shire or Cassowary Coast? You may be interested in Work for the Dole and becoming a host organisation.
The opportunity to become a Work for the Dole host is available to not-for-profit organisations, local, state and Commonwealth Government agencies.
Work for the Dole Coordinators work with host organisations to identify suitable activities and suitable candidates for any vacancies you have availble.
What are the benefits to you the employer?
Hosts who have participated in the Work for the Dole program say they have benefited by:
- Getting work or projects completed that would otherwise have not been completed;
- Saying they have contributed to improving the work readiness of participants and therefore benefiting their community;
- and Using the Work for the Dole project as a potential avenue to find suitable applicants for paid employment within their organisation
You can participate in the Work for the Dole programme by:
- Choosing to create and deliver individual places for participants - hosts can offer more than one individual place at once undertaking different tasks;
- Choosing to develop and undertake a group project for participants.
Work for the Dole activities place participants into activities where they can gain certain skill sets to arm them with an ability to find a job. It also provides them with an opportunity to give back to their local community.
What is the role of a Work for the Dole host organisation?
As a Work for the Dole host, you will provide participants with day to day tasks to undertake.
What can participants do?
There are many activities that participants can undertake do for Some examples include:
- Gardening, landscaping or horticulture maintenance works;
- Retail work;
- Trade related activities such as concreting, painting, carpentry;
- IT related areas such as publisher, DVD creation & videoing;
- Office admin such as filing, database management & reception;
- Warehouse duties;
- and Rehabilitation of public areas such as parks
There are some limitations on the type of work and industries participants can work within. For example, the activity cannot be in child care or preschools. Your Work for the Dole Coordinator at My Pathway can assist with further information.
Also participants cannot replace paid work positions, or involve tasks that would normally be done by a paid employee. This includes casual and part-time employees or reducing hours or overtime.
Want to get involved?
If your organisation would like to become part of the Work for the Dole programme in Cairns you should contact My Pathway’s Work for the Dole Coordinator on 07 4033 3400 or visit our website to find out more.
The My Pathway Team